National Junior Swine Association > Premier Breeder Program
Premier Breeder Program
The National Swine Registry recognizes that today’s young breeders are the future of the purebred swine industry. To support the continued growth of youth involvement in the production of purebred swine, the NJSA Premier Breeder Program was established. This program is designed to acknowledge the achievements of junior members that are building breeding programs and exhibiting bred and owned gilts through NJSA events. Exhibitors of purebred bred and owned gilts can compete for the opportunity to earn $1,000 in buying credit towards NSR sales each year.
NJSA Premier Breeder Competition for each Breed.
- Points from each Bred & Owned division at each NJSA show are accumulated throughout the year.
- Only the 1st and 2nd place Bred & Owned gilt in each class are eligible to return for the Bred & Owned championship to accumulate points.
- Placings from the Bred & Owned division at the Southwest Regional, Eastern Regional, Southeast Regional, Western Regional, WPX Junior National and National Junior Summer Spectacular will be counted.
- The top five exhibitors in each breed with the most accumulated points from the Southwest Regional, Eastern Regional, Southeast Regional, Western Regional and WPX Junior National will be contacted after the conclusion of WPX Junior National by the NSR Junior Activities Coordinator to schedule an interview that will take place at the National Junior Summer Spectacular with their respective breed boards.
- Placings from the Bred & Owned division from the National Junior Summer Spectacular will count towards the final score of those top five exhibitors competing for the title of Premier Breeder.
- Final scores will be calculated with 70% of the final score being the point total from the Bred & Owned division at shows and 30% of the final score being from the interview.
- A Premier Breeder for each breed will be awarded at the National Junior Summer Spectacular Awards Ceremony, receiving a belt buckle and $1,000 in NSR sale buyer credits.
- The biography of each Premier Breeder will be published in the August issue of the Seedstock Edgemagazine with the official National Junior Summer Spectacular results.
- The Overall Premier Breeder will receive a one year lease donated by Exiss Trailers with the option to buy along with a banner.
- The Overall Premier Breeder will be selected based off of the TOTAL points accumulated from all Bred & Owned projects. The top five exhibitors with the most total points after the conclusion of WPX Junior National will be contacted to schedule an interview that will take place at the same time as the Premier Breeder interviews at the National Junior Summer Spectacular. Those top five exhibitors with the most total points will then be interviewed separately about their entire Bred & Owned program and what breeds they have exhibited.
- Final scores will be calculated the exact same as they are for the Premier Breeder for each breed, with 70% of the final score being the total points accumulated from all Bred & Owned divisions at shows and 30% of the final score being from the Overall Premier Breeder interview.
- If an exhibitor is in the top five in their respective breed and in the top three overall in terms of points, they will be participating in TWO separate interviews. The interview competing for the Premier Breeder title of their respective breed will be based upon that specific Bred & Owned project, whereas the Overall Premier Breeder will be interviewed based on all Bred & Owned Projects.