Dear Southeast Regional Participants,
It's almost time for the NJSA Southeast Regional that will take place at the Georgia National Agricenter & Fairgrounds in Perry, GA, January 23-26, 2019! In order to make this event run smoothly, please read a few reminders listed below.
- Due to an expected record number of hogs, please inform NJSA staff if your plans have changed and you will not be bringing the number of animals you have entered for the event.
- Hogs may begin arriving at the fairgrounds at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, January 23 and must be in place by 6 p.m.
- State health officials and NJSA show officials will inspect animals and Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) prior to unloading animals.
- Please remember to bring a pen divider as exhibitors are required to pen two pigs per pen, with families penning together and barrows and gilts penning together. The size of one pen is 6’ x 6’. New this year, due to an increase in numbers, some pens will be located in horse stalls. Horse stall dimensions will be 10’ x 10’. Please be prepared to pen in a horse stall.
- Exhibitors will be penned alphabetically by last name, within their state. However, exhibitors may request to be penned by other JUNIOR members from the SAME state. Requests must be made by Wednesday, January 16. No requests will be taken after this date.
- *If you are double entered in the NJSA Southeast Regional and the NSR Winter Type Conference, NSR Staff will attempt to pen all entries in the same location.
- Registration will take place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, January 23 in the Show Ring.
- Each exhibitor must have their registration papers, original CVI that has been approved by state health officials or NJSA show officials and a copy of their PQA Plus certificate or card present at registration. Please bring a photocopy of the registration papers along with the originals to speed up the registration process.
- Photocopies of approved original CVIs can be made for each animal during check-in.
- Please bring your Silent Auction donation items with you to Check-in on Wednesday.
- All exhibitors at any NJSA event MUST be PQA Plus or YQCA certified. Youth ages 8-21 years old that are not certified must attend the Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) Certification Training session on Wednesday, January 23 from 5:30-6 p.m. to noon in the McGill Building. Parents of youth ages 7 years old and under that are not certified must attend the Adult PQA Plus training session on Wednesday, January 23 from 3:30-5 p.m. in the McGill Building. The Adult PQA Plus training is open to anyone over the age of 14 and youth meeting this age requirement have the option to attend the Adult PQA training if they so choose. Any youth that are not YQCA, Youth PQA or Adult PQA Plus certified prior to the Southeast Regional and do not attend a training session to become certified at the event will not be allowed to exhibit their hogs.
- We encourage youth to take a certification course online beforehand at http://www.pork.org/or http://yqca.org/.
- All participants are required to meet at the Show Ring on Thursday, January 24, at 8 a.m. for a brief informational exhibitor meeting.
- The judges for the NJSA Southeast Regional will be: NJSA Gilts-Kade Hummel, KS; NJSA Barrows: James Backman. CA; Showmanship- Kane Austin, KY.
- The NJSA Purebred and Crossbred Gilt show will begin at 8:15 a.m. Thursday, January 24, and go in the order of Duroc, Hampshire, Landrace, and Yorkshire. The NJSA Crossbred Gilt show will immediately follow the NJSA Purebred Gilt show. NJSA Crossbred gilts must weigh 375 lbs. or less and will have a 15 lb. weigh-back.
- Showmanship will be held on Friday, January 25 at 8:00 a.m. Showmanship will go in the order of Senior, Intermediate, Junior, then Novice divisions.
- The NJSA Purebred and Crossbred Barrow Show will take place on Friday, January 25 and will begin following the conclusion of showmanship. NJSA Barrows must weigh between 215-290 lbs. and will have a 15 lb. weigh-back.
- The Skillathon competition will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, January 26 in the McGill Building. All participants must be checked in by 11:30 p.m. to compete. This event is for youth exhibitors only – no parents or spectators are allowed in the Skillathon building. However, on Saturday at the conclusion of the Skillathon, all parents and youth are invited to go back through the Skillathon to review the questions and see the correct answers.
*No pictures or saving information from the skillathon is allowed.
- The NJSA Family Feed will begin at 1 p.m. Saturday and is free to all NJSA members & families! Take a break from the show and come enjoy a time to eat and fellowship with your family and other NJSA families!
- Ray Perryman will be providing his inspirational services at 2 p.m. in the McGill Building!
- All NJSA exhibitors and families are invited to the NJSA Family Breakfast at 7:30 a.m. on Friday morning in the Show Ring.
- The Awards Ceremony will begin at 3 p.m. on Saturday in the McGill Building.
- Junior hogs are released Saturday, January 26, at 4:30 p.m. However, NJSA members are encouraged to stay through the Winter Type Conference Sale on Saturday beginning at 4 p.m. If animals leave before the release time, the exhibitor and their family will not be allowed to participate in any NJSA events for one year.
We are looking forward to both seeing familiar faces and meeting new people! If you have any questions, please contact NSR Director of Junior Shows, Ellen Knauth, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 765.463.3594 ext. 101. See you in Perry!
NSR Director of Junior Shows